Sunday 19 February 2012

Lemsford Springs, Hertfordshire

THIS extended weekend saw a visit to the Cotswolds, then on to my ancestral home to see the folks and celebrate mutual birthdays.  This provided an opportunity to make a return visit to the small, but perfectly formed, Lemsford Springs nature reserve which is run by the Herts & Mid'sex Wildife Trust.

The reserve is the site of an old Watercress bed and the water rarely, if ever, freezes as it is spring fed.  This makes the site very rich in shrimps, which in turn feeds the locals (birds).  The highlights were snipe, teal, green sandpiper, little egrets, grey wagtail and lots of small woodland birds.  Unfortunately we just missed out on the Jack Snipe and did not see a water-rail or kingfisher this time.

I had my camera with me as usual (at least on our second visit of the weekend), but was struggling to get good images of the distant birds.  Another birder sitting nearby very generously let me try out his lens on my camera...and what a difference it made.  However  I suspect the lens and extenders probably were more expensive than my car.  The green sandpiper images were taken with his lens:













No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say...