I did have some issues, such as avoiding our rowan tree roots - this involved a very delicate surgical removal of soil between the roots, digging under them then relaying them at a greater depth.
I used sand to smooth our the rocky bottom of hole and a black liner to make it water tight - this is surprisingly expensive so I did not go for the rubber version. A two-deep, brick surround, topped off with terracotta tiles, was built where it was required to create height around the edge. I managed to get the bricks from our garden and a friend. The tiles were from a salvage yard. I dug it with a two foot depth and sloping slides. In additon I lined the edges with peddles to provide texture and some hiding places. There will not be any fish introduced to the pond as they would eat the other inhabitants that I am trying to encourage.
Once ready, I bought (and was given) plants (lillies, pond weed, irises, mint, sedges etc.) and pond water. I also "borrowed" a sample of pond water from some other sources to help build up the mini-critter fauna, such as plankton, tadpoles and dragonfly larva. The pond was filled with mains water, which took a few weeks to clear of the usual added chlorine.
|How the garden looked when we bought the house 5 years ago|
And I was totally amazed...almost straight away two smooth newts turned up, plus three frogs - goodness only knows where they came from. Also the pond skaters were quick to find the new pond and stayed all summer. Snails have been plentiful, brought in on the plants. By dipping the pond I know that there were loads of baby newts and dragonfly larva in August. The former have disappeared, but the dragonflies are still present and will remain in the pond over winter.
A few adult dragonflies certainly visited the pond during the summer. The male newt died for some reason, but I think that the female must have been pregnant.
I can't wait to see how it matures and what else turns up next year...!