Not many photos on this blog, but here's a list of what I saw and heard on the Somerset Levels yesterday. Weather was cold, blustery and overcast most of the time (thanks weather gods!) but the birding was good... (sorry Steve!):
- Numerous hobbies swooping low over the water
- 2 bitterns in flight and lots booming
- Marsh Harrier quartering over the reeds
- Water-rails screeching
- Whitethroats, willows, chiff-chaffs, blackcaps, and lots of garden warblers singing
- Redshanks, lapwing and bt godwits
- Gt white egret and cattle egrets
- Lots of young coromants, cygnets and goslings
- Random ducks
- Hundreds of swifts and swallows, with the odd martin sp.
- Cuckoos cuckooing
- A darting kingfisher
- Other common water birds and woodland birds.